Tikoy (Chinese Sticky Cake)
This is how to make tikoy (Chinese Sticky Cake). It is very timely for Chinese New Year!
3 cups glutinous rice flour
1 ½ cup warm water
½ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
½ cup dates, pitted and chopped
1. Combine water and brown sugar then mix well
2. Combine glutinous rice flour with the water and brown sugar mixture then mix thoroughly.
3. Add the pitted chopped dates then mix until every ingredient is well distributed.
4. Grease a round cake pan and transfer the glutinous rice flour mixture then sprinkle the sesame seeds on top.
5. Steam for 45 minutes. Make sure to cover the top part with cheesecloth to avoid water drippings.
6. Remove the tikoy from the cake pan and transfer to a wax paper or cling wrap then refrigerate for at least 5 hours.
7. Take the tikoy out of the refrigerator. *Cook using your desired method.
* Tikoy can be re-steamed, microwaved, or fried after dipping in beaten egg mixture.
* I find this recipe not too sweet which I didn't like much, so I suggest you add 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup more brown sugar and vanilla essence to make it tastes more like the ones we usually bought in the Philippines.
Share and enjoy with family and friends!!!
Source: Panlasang Pinoy